View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Leo Lichtman

"Larry Chapman" wrote: (clip)a tool that would create a number of rings that would stack to create a bowl. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have seen the tool demo'd at a show or two, but, I don't remember the name. I have done this without the tool, and I consider the tool unnecessary unless you are going to do production of this type of bowl structure. I have done several bowls by making the rings with a scroll saw. One reason I never carried the practice further is that you are limited in the shape of bowl you can make--flat bottom and straight sloping sides. Since the creative part of bowl turning is so closely involved with the SHAPE, this seems to me like a blind alley. If you are planning to sell a large number of salad bowls, all alike, and you have a lot of hardwood scrap boards available, it would make sense.

BTW, I recall now that our high school shop teacher told me he did this with a parting tool, held at the appropriate angle. He was not making bowls--he was making Xmas tree bases to be used on the tables at a holiday banquet.