vmtw

I have about 13 Acers of land that is about 3/4 wooded. I have a lot
of fire wood that is any where from 1-7 years old. There is always a
lot of fallen wood in various stages of dryness or decay. I just
picked-up my first lathe, a Powermatic 90 that I got at a school sale
for $276, and just started using it for the first time this week.
What do I need to know about using green, air dried, spalded wood?
Do I need to trim the ends of a piece of firewood until there is not
any checking or cracking?
How "round" does a piece of fire wood need to be before I put it in
the lathe for spindle turning?
Any good links to green woodturning?

Thanks
Scott in Decorah IA