John Willis

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:38:34 GMT, "Default User"
scribbled this interesting note:

I had a fairly standard tree-trimming job, removing dead limbs from a
large silver maple and cleaning up some debris. So I get a couple of
bids from local companies on doing the work, such things are usually
within a fairly small range of each other.

One gives me a bid for $450 (about what I'd expect).

The other, bids $2500. What! Five times the other?

I read the bid sheet, they had the correct job described, the right
tree indicated, the correct address, all that. Needless to say, they
didn't get work. I thought about calling and seeing what on earth they
based that on, but in the end didn't bother.

We had a Hackberry tree growing between two houses. It was about three
feet in diameter and probably forty feet tall. A fellow knocked on the
door one day to ask if we needed any tree trimming, so I asked him his
price for removing that tree. He looked at it for a minute or two and
said $900.00. He offered a business card, which I took, and I politely
thanked him. I went inside and threw away his card since I'd never be
needing his overpriced services.

I've since had that tree cut down. Cost? $120.00. You do the math to
figure out how much the first fellow was overpriced. The two guys who
did the job were competent, had good chainsaws and safety gear (and
used the safety gear!), as well as a good work truck with assorted
other tools, ladders, and gear inside. Paying more money is no
guarantee of getting higher quality.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)