George E. Cawthon

Steve Kissell wrote:

Last evening while using our seven year old microwave there was a loud
bang and everything stopped.
I determined that my circuit breaker tripped and the microwave would
not restart.

Initially, I thought I detected a black powder residue near the
microwave door, but upon taking it down from the cabinet over the stove
and taking the cover off, I can't find anything that looks "fried" .

An appliance parts store nearby suggested that I have a technician (they
recommended) look at the magnetron.

Question:
Would that be the circular part about the size of a silver dollar and
3/8 " thick that is located in the base of the oven at its center?

It has two very thin wires coming out of it.

Forget it. Anything you do is likely to cost way more than a new
microwave. If you really want to poke around, look at everything
until you find something with a hole in it or a big black burn. But
if you get it fixed it is still an old appliance and something else in
it is likely to go.