Roy

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:54:09 -0400, willshak
wrote:

===S. M. Henning wrote:
===
(Roy) wrote:
===
===
===
===There is absolutely no
===advantage a gear drive in a L & G tractor has over a hydro
===drive.........hands down its the better , no, BEST way to go.....
===
===
===
===In the manual for the John Deere OMM149664, Issue L3 Lawn Tractors
===LX280, LX280AWS, and LX289 PIN, automatic transmission tractors it
===specifically says:
===
==="Do not use cruise control when going down hills. Machine speed will
===increase."
===
===
===Then don't use cruise control when going down hills. I don't have cruise
===control on my hydrostatic tractor and it actually brakes when going down
===hill, as long as I take my foot off the pedal.
===
===That means you have to keep your foot on the "forward pedal" like a
===throttle when going down hills.
===
===
===And that would be a means to brake the mower? What about the brake
===pedal, or is that not mentioned? In a car, the brake pedal will
===disengage the cruise control, does that not happen with a tractor.
===I don't have cruise control, so you will have to enlighten me. I'll take
===your expertise opinion on this.
===
===With a gear-shift transmission you go up and down hill without touching
===any levers or pedals. Their speed doesn't increase going down hills.
===They are much safer.
===

He is just grabbing at straws randomly, and the post is getting so far
off its original matter, mainly due to the fact of S.M.H's ignorance
in the operation of a hydrostatic, and his wealth of misinformation!
===Did you ever own a hydrostatic tractor, or are you just going by some
===pre-conceived assumption?
===After all, as you said, you have a lawn as flat as a billiard table,
===never have to back up, and use only a single forward gear, so how would
===you know about hills, braking, and backing up?

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.