LARRY THE CABLE GUY

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:18:16 GMT, Jeff Cochran
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 19:36:21 -0400, "orangetrader"
wrote:

The plywood covers the windows and are fixed to the exterior concrete walls
using Tapcons. The windows themselves are at least four inches from the
surface of the exterior wall. If a lawn chair or a flying coconut slams on
the plywood at say 120 miles an hour, will it create a deflection on the
plywood board in excess of four inches to cause the window itself to break?
or are we saying that force alone will shake the concrete wall enough to
break the window glass?

A 2x4 at 120 miles per hour will shatter the plywood *and* window...

My original question was to find out what is a better way to attach the
plywood, because after a few times the holes the Tapcon goes into are all
over the places and I wondered if it would be better to use anchors, and
whether larger sheets are better than a series of smaller sheets.

Anchors and larger sheets. Hit the FEMA web site for hurricane
protection guides. And use 5/8" or 3/4" plywood.

Jeff

from knocking out the window.

2. Because if a window goes, in-rushing wind dramatically raises the
interior air pressure and there goes the roof.

The plywood over the windows is to keep the windows from imploding on
you. They will still break with the plywood over them

Just move !