Grant Erwin

Yes. That's how you *broach* a square hole. He said he *milled* it.
That's what piqued my curiosity. Also, if I made one as you suggest,
I'd fill the bottom with JB Weld the first time I put it on. The
ram has to bear down there, after all. It isn't like a socket wrench
where it's the sides that count.

Grant

Ted Edwards wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote:

How'd you mill a pocket with square corners? - GWE

Drill or bore a round hole slightly larger than the across-the-flats
distance. Then broach. I've done this for both square and hex. I made
the square broaches from OCS and used pieces of old Allen wrenches for
the hexes. Machined (carbide) a short length at the end round and of a
good sliding fit to the round hole. This acts as a pilot to get the
broach correctly lined up.

Ted