A.Gent

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
Do any of you Arizona types know where I can get very small quantities
of tool steel in the Phoenix area.

Living in Sydney, Australia, (as I do) I can't help with local suppliers, but,
(if you're looking for flatter - thinner stock):

Don't forget saw blades. My appetite for high carbon steel is well-fed by
salvaging broken power hacksaw blades and cold cut-off saw blades.

Heck - the hard-back hacksaw blades are cheap enough to buy brand new!
They're (from memory) about 1.5mm (wassat? about 60 thou?) thick, an
inch-and-a-bit wide and 12" long, and are very nice steel.

The cold cut-off saw blades cost way too much to buy just for breaking up,
(about AUD$80 IIRC) but fortunately (!) they are easy to break, so I have a
few for recycling. They are about 400mm dia and 3mm thick, and very good
steel. Hard as blazes. (Brittle, too, but that's easy to fix).

Thanks for the coil spring idea. Thick I'll try that for thicker stock.

--
Jeff