Jeff Wisnia

Larry Jaques wrote:

snipped

But...
Just 2 weeks ago my old 1/4" spinner handle split in half. It
was in an early Craftsman 1/4" drive set. I grudgingly went to
the local Searz counter and asked for a replacement. "OK, but we
don't stock them. We'll call it in and they will mail the
replacement to you." I agreed and left.

The next week brought a package to my door. When I opened it, I
found a nice little Crapsman 1/4" drive ratchet, not a 1/4" drive
screwdriver handle with a 1/4" female socket in the end, the main
feature which made it an indispensable tool to me.

I've had one of those for over 40 years now, and you're right, that 1/4"
female socket at the top end is very handy when I have to give something
a little more torque than my aging wrists can take.

My Craftman tools date back to the early 60s, and that's pretty much the
only brand I bought back then because I was living a few blocks from the
multistory "Sears Building" near Fenway Park in Boston which housed
their regional offices. At the time they had a "bargain basement" store
there. (Yep, it was really the basement.)

I haunted that place with the same fervor that my then SWMBO frequented
Filene's basement (Another Beantown landmark.) and I got most of my
Craftsman mechanic's tools there little by little. With the exception of
of a few which "grew legs" and left 'cause my teen aged sons took them
to friends' houses and couldn't remember where they left them, those
good old US made Craftsman tools are all still with me. Also with me is
the US made Craftsman floor style drill press I remember buying there
for (IIRC) around $30.

I called down to the local Searz store and told the girl the problem.
She asked me to bring it in, so I did. Well, Searz doesn't make this
particular handle any more. I asked for a refund of the ratchet's
cost so I could purchase what I needed at competitor's store since
several other companies still make them. They wouldn't go for that.
So now I'm awaiting a response from Searz Corporate.

I find concluding letters of that sort to Corporate goodfaddles with the
line "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." produces positive
results more often than not.

Is it any -wonder- I don't like Searz or Crapsman tools any more?

Nothing is forever...

While on the subject of sockets, is the "international standard" for
drive sizes still the english 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" etc., or have they
started manufacturing metric sockets with metric sized drives and (G-d
forbid) maybe even inch size sockets with metric sized drives?

Just wondering...

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"