Ted Edwards

Do any of you Arizona types know where I can get very small quantities
of tool steel in the Phoenix area.

I'm making small carving tools, knives, etc. by hand so I can use pieces
that would normally be scrap and cutoffs. However I'm willing to pay a
reasonable amount for the material. Ideally I'd like to get some key
stock because it takes less work to form.

The type of tool steel doesn't particularly matter as long as it's
something I can heat treat at home.

Go to an auto wrecker or spring shop and get a few coil and leaf
springs. They are quite good steel. I have made numerous tools for
both metal and wood work from OCS (Old Chevy Spring), heat treated them
at home using typical old blacksmith techniques and been well satisfied
with the results. For example:

On coil springs, I cut of one or so rings and heat and
straighten (hammer and anvil). Heat to "cherry red" and bury in ashes
to anneal. Saw/machine/grind/file to required shape. Heat to cherry
red and quench in oil. Clean to bare metal and gently heat to a brown
(hard) or purple (not quite so hard but tougher) and quench again.

After he broke his third Snap-on cold chisel, I made one out of
truck-size coil spring for my mechanic son-in-law. This was several
years ago. He says it may soon need to be sharpened.