James Waldby

John Hofstad-Parkhill wrote:
"Dan" ... wrote ...
I have a couple of small peices of CRS that need some 3/8" w x 3/8" deep
slots cut in them. Is it possible to do this at home with a 8" benchtop
drillpress and a cross slide table bolted to it? Accuracy is not overly
important, finish can be marginal but the nicer the better. Suggestions as
to what to use for a cutter that would fit in the drill chuck.

You don't mention how long the slot needs to be, or if it's a blind slot.
I'd endeavor to remove as much material as possible through drilling first.

Drilling along the axis of the slot with a 3/8" bit would quickly
take out most of the material. Then if it's a through slot make 2
saw cuts and take the top off, leaving just quarter-rounds in the
bottom corners of the slot to finish with a file, mill, or grinder.
-jiw