On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:38:18 +0000 (UTC), "Don Foreman"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

snip
Would be a good move - what would be really nice is to
look at the short term changes with a storage scope.

Yup. That or a PC-based data-acq setup. I have a scope and a LabJack DAQ
but no synchronous motor. DATAQ offers a simple DAQ for $24.95.
http://www.dataq.com/products/startkit/di194rs.htm
It's kinda slow at 240 samples/sec. That might be fast enough, given the
large inductances and rotational inertias involved.

snip

The trouble is that suitable machines are pretty thin on
the ground.I've got a pretty ancient storage scope but it's
the wrong side of the atlantic!

I don't know if advice from our photographic
friends would help. I believe some of the better digital
cameras have a 5 second maximum shutter time - would one of
these do the necessary with a standard scope?

Jim