Don Foreman

Yup! I once did some milling in a drillpress, had all of the problems
others have mentioned. It worked, but not at all well.

I then got an Enco mill-drill. Huge improvement. They provide a lot of
capability for the buck.

You might or might not eventually outgrow a milldrill, but if you want to
mill slots now you almost certainly will want to do more milling in the
future. I made a lot of stuff on that milldrill, and I had no problem at
all selling the milldrill when I eventually found a good deal on a
Bridgeport.

"Pete & sheri" wrote in message

All that said, I have done some end milling on my 15" Craftsman drill
press that is 40 years old. I have used end mills up to 3/8" diameter
and down to 1/8" diameter, using cutting depths of no more than .010" at
a pass. I have done this in both steel and in aluminum.

I know that I can act as a lightning rod for replies for saying this,
but if you plan to do much of this sort of thing, think about a small
mill drill. Harbor Freight has some on sale right now. I even saw one
at a flea market for $200 recently.