On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:28:51 -0700, Bryce
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:34:46 GMT, Rick Cook
wrote:

Strictly a hobby and I haven't done much mechanic's work in 20 years or so.
Hence the question.

--RC

If you have a Home Depot nearby, Husky tools are a pretty good value
for hobby work. Certainly cheaper than some of the other professional
grades mentioned.

In Canada, the Mastercraft Professional tools from Canadian Tire are
pretty decent stuff.
I made my living for 25 years with Craftsman tools - and I still have
the majority of that first set - missing a few that got lost or
pinched by apprentices and fellow workers. Had a few replaced under
Warranty.
I also liked the SK tools - and bought a fair amount of Herbrand over
the years. I bought Snap-On when I had to.
Also a smattering of Mac and Proto and the odd Husky - and KD for
specialty tools.

Some years the usage was light - working on Toyotas etc, and other
years it was heavy - buldozers, farm equipment, backhoes, ditchers,
etc.