Koz

John Normile wrote:

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:51:26 -0400, Artemia Salina
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:05:30 +0000, John Normile wrote:

None of the original bearing material is left. Any idea what the
preferred bearing material would be for this application? I am
assuming that a bearing bronze would be the choice for this
application. This is a low speed, high pressure application

I know that it is claimed that cast iron is supposed to
work well as a bearing for hardened steel.

As to Babbitt metal, I was unable to locate the PDF scan
of an old book called "The Magnolia Metal Bearing Book",
as all of the links to it seem to be dead. I had a copy
of it once and it's since been lost, but I do remember
that there are at least two kinds of Babbitt Metal, for
different kinds of applications. If I remember correctly
you would want the type of Babbitt metal that has no lead
in it. I think it is an alloy that is mostly tin, antimony,
and copper.

Oh, wait! I just found a working link:

http://files.owwm.com/PDF/FAQ/Magnolia.pdf

Thanks the babbit info was real interesting.

After looking around for bearing materials, I thought of two other
possibilities. Linnen filled bakelite and UHMW. I believe the
bakelite has the compressive striength, but I am not sure about the
UHMW.

John

UHMW will not work at those pressures. It will tend to cold flow and/or
reach it's yield strength quickly.

The person who posted about wood bearing has an interesting idea. Those
have been used in certain industries for years. Although probably not
the ideal solution, it may get the machine up and running more quickly
so that your friend has time to make final decisions about the bearings.
Heck, you may find that the wood lasts and lasts.

Koz