Dave Garnett

In addition, I think I need to push the small bit way up into the chuck so
that its stiff. Yesterday when I was drilling holes, I watched the small

bit
I was using to drill pilot holes dance around on the metal. Another thing

did, which must have been stupid, is to put a drop of oil on the
centerpunched hole before I started drilling. That makes it hard to see

the
hole and line up the bit.

If the drill bit doesn't run true in the chuck, you are making life
difficult. The amount of stick-out doesn't really matter with small drills -
they are so flexible that they will bend anyway. What guides the drill bit
is the center punch mark. If you aim the drill bit at the mark as you bring
on (gently !) a little pressure, it will either settle into the mark or
skate around. If it skates around back off and try again - but do not apply
any pressure until it is running true. Depending on how hard you are holding
things down you can quite often 'feel' the drill centering in the punch
mark, at which point you may have to move the workpiece a little so that the
drill is truly aligned with the hole - applying pressure when the drill tip
is deflected is a good recipe for a broken drill !

As with all things, a little practise will soon give you the hang of things.

Posted Via Nuthinbutnews.Com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
http://www.nuthinbutnews.com