Daven Thrice

"Dave Garnett" wrote:

Drilling is just as important as marking. If the drill bit you use is
larger
across the chisel end than the size of your center punch, the drill will
wander. Far better to use a proper center drill, whose end comes to a
point
and therefore locates precisely in the center punch mark.

In addition, I think I need to push the small bit way up into the chuck so
that its stiff. Yesterday when I was drilling holes, I watched the small bit
I was using to drill pilot holes dance around on the metal. Another thing I
did, which must have been stupid, is to put a drop of oil on the
centerpunched hole before I started drilling. That makes it hard to see the
hole and line up the bit.

If you want the sets of holes in the separate pieces of metal to line up,
clamp them together before drilling ... (or use one as a jig to line up
the
other holes).

Sounds like a work saver, OR a way to scrap several pieces of metal at one
time :-)

Thanks -- Daven