jim rozen

In article mu81d.259560$sh.198210@fed1read06, Daven Thrice says...

I have a piece of 1", 1/8" aluminum angle iron that is 18" long and 1/8"
thick. I want to drill sixteen holes in it, in a straight line, each hole 1"
away from the other. I also have a flat piece of aluminum that is 2" x 18" x
1/8" thick. I want to drill two rows of 16 holes in that one. All holes are
1/4" in diameter.

I've scrapped enough metal to set my ego aside and admit that I need help
with the very basics of basics. How do I make the measurements, mark them,
and then drill the holes?

Do the holes in the two pieces have to line up with anything
in particular?

Basically you need to decide in adavance what tolerance you want on the
hole location.

If it's sub-thousanth of an inch, you need to find a jig borer.

If it's +/- 1/16 inch, you can do it with a good tape measure.

Nobody can really answer your question with any decent answer
until you come across with the tolerance for your parts.

Jim

please reply to: