Ken Sterling

I have a piece of 1", 1/8" aluminum angle iron that is 18" long and 1/8"
thick. I want to drill sixteen holes in it, in a straight line, each hole 1"
away from the other. I also have a flat piece of aluminum that is 2" x 18" x
1/8" thick. I want to drill two rows of 16 holes in that one. All holes are
1/4" in diameter.

I've scrapped enough metal to set my ego aside and admit that I need help
with the very basics of basics. How do I make the measurements, mark them,
and then drill the holes?

Thanks!

Don't know what size holes you want to drill, but you can make a jig
(accurate as you possibly can) by drilling your first hole, then
moving over the required distance and drilling the second hole at the
correct position. Then put a pin in the first hole that sticks up
enough so that when you drill the first hole in the angle at the
correct starting point, you would then lift it up and place the just
drilled hole over the "pin" in the jig, which will locate the angle
for the next hole. Drill it, then shift the angle over again using
the pin as the locator for the entire series of holes.
Ken.