Karl Townsend

wrote in message ...
Thanks for the info. Care to comment on the nature of your axel failure?
Was
it structural or bearing related? Need to be prepared as I have a long way
haul.

Best guess is poor fit between the spindle and bearing. The bearing looked
to have spun on the spindle for some time before it crumbed. The wobbling
tore the wheel off those flimsy mounts - the bearing never came clear loose.
Its been a LONG time ago, don't remember much more.

I do remember the spindles are soft. I took a center punch and peened the
remaining spindles to make the bearing tighter on the spindle.

Just my 2 cents worth, those Northern Hydraulic axle assemblies look like an
awful good deal. And way way more quality.

Karl