Jon Elson

Default Max RMP for slotting cutter

sittingduck wrote:
I am using some 3 wing carbide tipped slot cutters in my cnc for tapering
wood. They are almost 2" in diameter and 1/8" thick, made by ELENCO.
The new air spindle I have will go about 50,000 rpm at it's lowest
recommended PSI, I imagine the cutter will go a little slower, expecially
when it's cutting, but I would hate to see a chunk of carbide fly off of that
thing going that fast. I used to run 30,000 rpms without any problems, but I
may have just been lucky so far. Any advice appreciated.

I think you have to contact the manufacturer of the cutter for a
max safe RPM. It is dangerous to guess. Without a heavy guard,
you could be easily killed by a 2" diameter tool spinning at that
speed. I computed 208 FPS at 50,000 RPM.

A guy in the area at an aircraft instrument shop apparently connected
24 V to a 12 V gyro instrument, and it exploded and killed him.
I suspect that instrument gyro was no bigger than your cutters, and
likely never got to 50,000 RPM before it burst.

Jon