John Stumbles

Default Is £25 cheap for a IR thermometer?

In article ,
says...
In article , derek
writes
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:48:42 -0000, "Kalico" wrote:

"derek" wrote in message
. ..
£25 inc VAT and shipping

Details are at
http://www.mh-1.com/

How does it compare with the Maplin one?

It is a different thing altogether. The Maplin one is "Pistol" format
whereas this one is "Remote Control" format. :-)

Only slight downside of the Maplin/Screwfix/etc pistol-format one is
that it's easy for the trigger to get held on while the unit's in the
toolbox, resulting in a dead battery when you come to use it. The Maplin
unit (at least) comes with a soft clear vinyl cover and a plastic cap
over the business end, so it's a pity they didn't run to some sort of
cover or lock over the trigger, too. It'd probably be easy enough to
drill a hole through the trigger and put something through it to hold it
off, though I haven't tried doing this yet.

The Maplin one has a laser target indicator. So you know where you are
measuring.

Sort of: at close range there's obviously going to be a parallax error
(laser emanating from a cm or so off from the IR sensor)

I bought one (Maplin £29.99 special offer until end Jan) for the cat for
Christmas. He's having hours of fun chasing the red spot around. A
useful side-benefit is that it measures surface temperatures very
quickly. You don't even have to buy a battery, one is provided.

Though if you want one that works you might have to supply your own :-)

John S