Tim Auton

Murray Peterson wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote in
:

First, the pressure from hurricane force winds is only on the order of a
few pounds per square foot. This I learned by perusing _Marks_ handbook
during the long night of winds when I ran out of reading material.

My calculations show something rather different. Can you point out where I
went wrong?

Drag = drag coefficient * Dynamic Pressure * Area
Dynamic pressure - 0.5 * fluid density * (fluid velocity)^2

[...]
Dynamic pressu 0.5 * 0.00238 * 147^2 = 25.7

[...]
Drag = 954 pounds

I'm a physicist by education, but by no means an expert in fluid
dynamics. Here's my largely intuitive take on it anyway.

He's working on pressure, you're working on drag. I suspect neither
are the whole story, but I can see more problems with using drag than
pressure. I assume that drag coefficient is for moving a flat plate
*alone* though the medium (or vice-versa) - this is not the situation
for a window which is *attached to a building*. In particular the
vortices / lower pressure behind a plate moving through a fluid would
cause very significant drag.

Drag calculations would only be valid for the entire building. Your
dynamic pressure calculations are broadly in agreement with the OP's
calculations.

Anybody here done finite element analysis of such a situation?

Tim
--
Guns Don’t Kill People, Rappers Do.