Gunner

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:26:45 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

What about using a flat bottomed drill - one at 90 deg? I only did it once
and that was in a 1/4 in. hole with a pilot hole already in place. It was
OK for a brass ball valve seat.

Like an endmill? Thats tough because most drill bits have a
relatively thin web, which makes them very springy and they tend to
walk around. Compare an endmill and a drill bit and you will see the
endmill is far far stiffer. Without stiffness, you need a pilot to
keep it lined up. Ive cut with some sucess (generally poor) using the
spade type wood working bits, but Ive always had to make a small pilot
hole to keep it from wandering.

This bit is NOT recommended for any metals.

Gunner

Bob Swinney
"Gunner" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:20:52 GMT, "oparr" wrote:

This is uncharted territory for me. Done similar stuff with wood using

Brad
point and Forstner bits but never with metal. Basically, I need a
counterbore (CB) diameter of about 3/4" to a depth of about 3/8" in 1"

thick
6061 aluminum. This is to create a recess for cap screw head and washer
along with room to use a hex socket on the cap screw.

Sourcing the correct CB and pilot seems easy enough except that MMC
recommends HSS ($$) for ferrous and carbide tipped ($$$$) CB for

non-ferrous
metals. Surely, HSS should work for aluminum or am I missing something?

HSS works just fine for Aluminum. Thats all my CBs are, and I very
occasionally use them on stainless..but its iffy there.

Also, what would be the best drill speed to use in a case like this? I
normally use wax lubricant for countersinking metal, is this good enough

for
counterboring?

at .75, I go about 120 rpm just to keep the chips under control. I
dont worry too much about speeds and feeds with CBs. Too fast is bad.

Finally, is it advisable to buy say a 1/2" aluminum blank and
practice first or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Always drill a practice hole or turn a practice piece the first time
you get a new tool bit, unless you have run them before.

Gunner

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by
the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked
out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman
Liebmann

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke