art

In NY the "bid" that's signed is usually the contract. It has the clauses
about financing, inspection, closings, etc........In order to get that
contract, you'll end up paying the legal fee to your lawyer for review, etc.
and still have to pay the inspection fee. And bear in mind that once the
seller signs that document, the house is now off the market. Few sellers
want their houses off the market without knowing that the sale is absolutely
going to happen - which means that few sellers want to see contingency
clauses other than financing. From a seller's point of view, why remove a
house from the market pending an inspection? In this seller's market most
sellers want the house inspected before a contract is signed. From a buyer's
point of view it's best to know what problems might be encountered before
paying a lawyer to negotiate and review the contract. I'd rather be out the
inspection fee than the lawyer's fee.

"Raj" wrote in message
om...
Anyway, before I jump and make an offer I plan to get it inspected.

I'm just curious if this is order of actions is typical of your area? In

my
area (CT) typically you make the offer (with the inspection and financing
clauses), negotiating happens, the bid is signed, THEN you do the
inspection. More negotiations may ensue depending on the results of the
inspection.

I can't imagine that I would want to pay for the inspection before I knew
that they would accept my bid. What happens if you pay for the

inspection,
then another bid is presented before you make yours? Seems to me like its
more of a risk for losing your $350 or whatever your inspection cost, and
someone could scoop the house out from under you that way.