Speedy Jim

T wrote:

I am in the middle of a huge house cleaning right now.
I live in NY.

We usually run a dehumidifer in the basement, but not 24/7, a couple
of hours here and there.

The basement has wood walls.

I noticed that there is mold along the bottom of some of the walls.

Also, in another room of the basement (which has regular concret
walls) I noticed that on the ceiling (which is just wood-its just the
floor of the room upstairs, the ceiling is not finished) there is a
lot of mold, all over.

What is the best way to get rid of it? Just beach and water?

I saw a spray by Lysol that says "Kills germs, mold, mildew" should I
just buy a bottle and spray the mold. Would that work?

Are there cleaning crews that fix this, or are they really expensive?

Thanks

Heed Bundy's advice; do not spray *anything* in there
willy-nilly. Whatever you use will create a toxic cloud that
is difficult to deal with. Severe lung disease can result from
working in that atmosphere.

That said, I think you have a very difficult problem on
your hands. It may not be the dreaded black mold,
but it sounds like it is very extensive and has a
foothold.

At the very least, you need to get the humidity down
all year long. Buy a hygrometer so you can actually
measure the humidity; it should be close to 55%
to suppress mold growth.

Then take a look at why the moisture is getting in;
that will be a major project in itself.

Jim