Harry Bloomfield

Default Damn downlighters - can't unscrew bulbs!!!

On 25/01/2004 Mike Jones opined:-
In my kitchen I have these large downlighter bulbs which the previous owners
fitted. The thing is, 2 bulbs have gone and I can't get them unscrewed!
There is just so little to get hold of on the bulbs. I have replaced 2
(there are 6 in all) others in the past, but these two just won't undo. They
are R80 60 watt ES type.
PLEASE can anyone help??
Mike

Rubber gloves would give you better grip on the glass. Failing that get
the glass envelope out of the base, either by breaking the adhesive
seal, or by brekaing the glass envelope a bit at a time. A pair of long
nosed pliers will then enable you to clean out all the hard adhesive
away from the metal base and then easily unscrew the metal base. Make
sure the power is off, before attempting this!

When fitting screw type lamps, never tighten them all the way. Enough
to make gentle contact is usually enough and make them easily to
change.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)