GaryP

wrote in message
Can you find the humidity sensor and wrap it in an inch of cotton or
direct the output airstream away from the sensor or move the sensor
assembly to the other side of the room and wire in an extension cord
to power the fan and compressor, under sensor control?

These were good suggestions. The sensor is clipped to the evaporator coils
on the input side of the unit. Attaching a cotton ball changes the 2-3
minute on/off cycle to more like 5-10 minute cycles, so that helped. What
appears to be most successful is relocating that sensor completely outside
of the unit and out of the forced airflow. I was able to do this by
permanently removing the water reservoir, taping the reservoir switch full
switch, then hanging the sensor outside the unit below where it normally
mounts. My weather is currently such that the humidity is down in general,
so I can't get a real sense on how well this sensor will work this way, but
initial observations suggest that this might be the way to go. The unit
brought the humidity down to within 5%-7% of two electronic hygrometers that
I have, then shut off and didn't cycle on and off very often. Even though
I'm using a hose and not the water reservoir, it's almost as though when the
unit stops, humidity may build up inside the unit quickly and fool the
sensor into believing it must run again. Once going, dry air is sucked in
again and it stops. The cycle repeats.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
There is a 3 or 6 hr cycle setting, try it. I bought a new sears 55 pt
Mine doesnt cycle its freakin broke, 5 mo old its going back. If it
pulls humidty down fast it may be to big a unit or it is stuck in a
corner not getting air circulation.

Also good suggestions. The 3/6 hour cycle settings will give the
dehumidifier some off time, but this solution still won't accurately control
the humidity. Given my observations, the unit would run literally 50% of
the time every 3-6 hours, whether it's needed or not. Not very energy
efficient. The basement is 1700+ square feet, for which this unit should
not be significantly oversized. And I've been placing it in the middle of a
room near the floor drain, so it has gotten good air flow around the unit.

I may not be able to tell until next spring when things get humid again just
how effective moving the humidity sensor out of the airflow has been, but it
looks promising what I've observed so far. My ultimate plan is to have this
dehumidifier managed under an X10 home automation system and not have it
operate much during the day when my electric rates are higher (time-of-day
metering).

Thanks for the suggestions!