Abe

On 10 Sep 2004 05:56:34 -0700, (Anne) wrote:

I'm having my front porch rebuilt. It has a roof, but other than a
balustrade, the floor won't be covered. It has northern, eastern, and
a bit of southern exposure. I live in NJ.

The builder plans to use pine (I don't know which species). Is that
okay? We plan to paint it (I've heard that the paint should be an
oil-based enamel--will that do?), and I will specify that the ends
must be treated with a sealer and that the ends and tongues and
grooves must be primed before the boards are laid. Does that sound
right? Is there a more appropriate wood species?

Thanks for any help!

Anne

If you really want to go all out in the wood protection area, after
the ends are sealed and dry, have the boards dip primed before
installation. It's not hard or expensive. The painter builds/buys a
narrow trough equal to the length of the boards, puts in primer, dips
the boards into the primer, and then backrolls off the excess. Full
coverage.

As for wood species, unless it is hard pine (which is expensive) I'd
go with cedar or fir.

The choice of paint is correct.