JohnB

In 1971 I purchased a house where the indoor oil tank had been
"patched" on the outside by gluing a steel plate lined with
rubber to the bottom to deal with the rust that happened when
water condensed in the tank during humid summers and sank to the
bottom of the tank. I had a new tank installed in 1972.

In 1988 I moved to a house built circa 1955 which had an
underground oil tank. I finally got that tank "abandoned in
place" in August 2004. [It was not practical to pull the tank
because the back hoe to be used to pull it out might have damaged
my house or the next door neighbor's.]

The environmental services guy who looked at it to propose on the
removal / abandonment problem told me that sometimes a ten year
old tank is rusted out when pulled and sometimes a fifty year old
tank looks as good as new when pulled. It seems to depend on
luck, soil conditions and possibly the amount of electricity
running through the tank on its way to "ground."

Robert11 wrote:

Hello:

Looking at new houses, and see some oil fired heating
arrangements, which I'm not too familiar with. Would like to ask:

a. What are the pros and cons of an oil fired furnace for a home compared
to gas ?

Much thanks,
Bob