U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 22:24:20 -0400, FGG wrote:
Recently moved to a new home and finally have the time and space to try
doing some woodworking projects. Someone I spoke to about tools (he
happens to do a lot of woodworking) suggested that with limited space,
if I had to limit myself to one tool, he would get a radial arm saw. He
said that you can most everything you need with that tool.

Yes, you can, but you still need to feed wood through it.

It is MUCH harder to make a good RAS than it is to make a good table
saw. You have a heavy motor mounted on a cantelever arm, which just
BEGS to fall out of alignment.

An RAS is also much harder to get into alignment. A good RAS will cost
you more than a good TS or a good BS.

While some guys swear by their RAS, I've found ripping to be WELL
outside my comfort zone. OTOH, I love it for crosscuts and mitres.

If I had to choose, rather than inherit, I'd have a TS with an SCMS. If
I was allowed just one, I'd choose a TS.

I wouldn't buy any RAS made nowadays that was cheaper than the
12-inchers the Big Box stores have. You can buy two contractors saws
for what that'd cost you, or even better, a contractor saw and a band
saw.