Grant P. Beagles

I agree that the OTs can be tiresome at times (they are frequently entertaining
too!). On the other hand, moderated groups tend to be stale and die an early
death. I kinda like the picture of a bunch of old codgers (and Mary Schafer,
Juanita too) sitting around the stove at the old hardware store. Things aren't
always on topic or interesting for everyone, but if you listen, you will get
something out of it.

Grant

Bill Rogers wrote:

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 14:26:15 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

If you want to wall off a separate room and put a guard on the door, go ahead,
but I suspect that it's going to be awfully dry, cold, and very boring inside.

Very well said. If this was pro.woodworking I think one could make the
argument that all inquiries should be on-topic all the time.

Not a chance. The same reasons would apply.

Since it is
*rec*.woodworking, the wide-ranging ideas and backgrounds of the group form
an important part of the group dynamic. After all, this is something we
are all doing for fun.

A good point , but the wrong emphasis. Try rec.*woodworking*. Also
"all doing for fun" [which is just fine] should include "fun for all".
The objection, mine at least, to OT threads is not so much that they
are there, but that they are at a point of taking over completely.
That beer-soaked group in the corner gets louder and louder until
nobody can hear themselves speak; a subtle, but important difference.
Trying to find useful information about actual woodworking becomes a
chore, not a pleasant evening's occupation. Nobody complains when
sent to a site that holds useful information, and nothing but useful
information. They point other people there as well, as a good place
to visit. The reason people complain is because there is something to
complain about. This becomes not such a good place to visit, so a
whole lot of potentially good contributors, who simply don't want to
wade through the crap, are lost in the shuffle.

Bill.