JohnB

I am now sixty six years old. When I was a teenager I spent many
hours helping with attempts to clear the maple tree roots from
the sewer line at mother's ancestral home by rodding and/or
pumping in lye dissolved in water. We never did get around to
hiring somebody to dig it up and replace it since we found than
an annual visit from Roto Rooter would cost about the same as our
estimate of the interest which could be earned on the money
required for the digging and replacing job. We sold the place in
1997 so it is no longer our problem.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Second: How to keep a line from the cellar to the storm sewer clear. We
suspect it is very old cast iron, and tree roots are blocking it. What can
we pour into the drain to kill or slow or rot tree roots?

I'm sure there is a lot of wisdom out there in news group land, and I thank
you in advance.