Brikp

Pine might be OK. It is generally a soft wood but depending on which species
it may be fine (Douglas Fir?). There is also a mahogany T&G porch floor
material that I like better. The boards should be free of knots and have a
tight, close grain. Quatersawn is best.

"Anne" wrote in message
om...
I'm having my front porch rebuilt. It has a roof, but other than a
balustrade, the floor won't be covered. It has northern, eastern, and
a bit of southern exposure. I live in NJ.

The builder plans to use pine (I don't know which species). Is that
okay? We plan to paint it (I've heard that the paint should be an
oil-based enamel--will that do?), and I will specify that the ends
must be treated with a sealer and that the ends and tongues and
grooves must be primed before the boards are laid. Does that sound
right? Is there a more appropriate wood species?

Thanks for any help!

Anne