Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert11" wrote in message
a. What are the pros and cons of an oil fired furnace for a home compared
to gas ?

If yo have a gas line near the house, I'd prefer it. Gas usually has lower
mainenance and less cleaning. In my case, I'd have to spend about $30,000
to have the gas line extended to my house.

b. Potential oil tank (in basement) leak something to be worried about ?
-how long do the tanks "typically" last ?

Tanks last many, many years. I know of many that are 50+ years and never had
a problem.

c. What type of heater do most folks with oil fired furnaces use for
their
hot water ?

Probably most have an itegral heater. It makes all the hot water that I
ever needed. I don't think it is the most efficient method though. There
are add on heaters and the like. Amtrol used to make one but I never check
it out.

d. Relative to (c) above, I saw one house with an electric hot water
tank. What are the pros and cons of this type of system ?
Besides from a "technical" viewpoint, are they (much) more expensive to
operate ?

More expensive that other fuels. Slow recovery if you h ave a big family,
you need a big h eater.

Anything else I should be asking ?

Beats me, but probably. I'd not avoid a house with oil heat if all the
other factors of the house worked. Millions of people use oil with no
serious concerns. The cost of energy is climbing in any fuel and it seems
they are tying the gas and oil prices to come up pretty close in most areas.
Ed