Steve

Excelent point!. Thats why I visit this NG!

I hadnt considered fire. I was worrying about overheating the TV.. Duhh!

TV is already there and it looks great but I will reevaluate the venting.

Does this mean I should cover the bottom of the steps with a 1/2" piece of
sheetrock?

There is about 1.5" opening above the TV. No room to put a vent above that.
I can add a vent below the TV.

Now I'm back to sucking or blowing the air.

The only opening in this space is around the TV sides and top so if I suck
air into the space it would pressurize it and air would be forces out around
the TV blowing the hot air out.

If I blow air out the vent it will pull air in around the TV sides and top
and vent it out the bottom. only problem here is that heat rises and my vent
would be on the bottom.

I'm going to check operating temperatures this weekend with a remote temp
sensor.

What do you think would be considered to high a temp. ???

Thanks again!!

Steve

"International Residential Code, Sec R314.8, Under stair protection.
Enclosed accessible space under stairs shall have walls, under stair
surfaces and any soffits protected on the enclosed side with 1/2 inch
gypsum board." This is to protect the stair from burning before you
can get downstairs and away from danger. I'd suggest making that
enclosed, inaccessible space as fire safe as possible if it is to
contain a TV. I would vent it to an accessible space such as the
viewing room, rather than into an enclosed space filled with flammable
material.

If there were a grille below and a grille above the TV, I should think
air would circulate enough without a fan.

TB