Alex

"Richard" wrote in message
om...
Hi

Im just about to start bricking up a doorway which will be a support
for an RSJ after I knock some of the existing wall through to form an
arch. I have been told by the structural enginner that I need to fully
bond the new brickwork with the old by toothing it in. Can anybody
give me some advice on how I go about doing this, do I remove every
second course and lay the new brick into the gap?

Also whats the best way to make sure I get a straight line, should I
use a plumb line or not bother due to the gap being so small?

Also what tool should I use to cut the bricks, I was planning on
hiring an electric cutter of some kind.

Thanks!

Richard

Just remove the half bricks at the end of every other course, so that you
can maintain the bond using full bricks.

Depending on the integrity of the wall, you may just be able to take them
out with a bolster, but using a grinder will give a neater finish (but will
produce more dust than you imagined possible!)

If you're doing anything more than light DIY it's almost always worth buying
a cheapish grinder instead of hiring one IMHO.

Alex