Phisherman

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 23:23:55 -0500, "Phyloe"
wrote:

I am new at woodworking. I was working on a small project where I was
gluing 1/8" x 3/4" strips of wood to some boards and then planned to stain
the whole thing. I had some glue squish out and used a wet clothe to wipe
that off. It looked fine until I stained it and then I found the glue had
not wiped off completely and soaked into the wood and would not take stain.
I was using pine and a dark stain so the glue spots showed up like pale
yellow smears along the strips. I tried using a very modest amount of glue
but it still squished out when I used clamps. How can I avoid this problem
on future projects?
Phyloe

After many years of various projects, experience tells me the exact
amount of glue to use to avoid excess. Until then, you can line both
sides of the joint with masking tape during the dry run, apply the
glue and clamp, wait an hour for the excess glue to set up, then peel
off the tape.