Han

(sr_wood) wrote in news:e5e56ca6.0409091419.5da89676
@posting.google.com:

I'm making a particle board cubbie storage unit for my wifes
classroom. I've decided that the best way to design the unit is to
make the shelves interlocking, but can't think of a great way of
making the slots. The storage unit will have 15 total cubies all 12" x
12" x 12" (5x3). My first thought was to cut 4 slots on the 2
horizontal shelves half way through and then make 2 slots on each of
the 5 vertical deviders half way through on the table saw. But I'm not
sure how to finish off the cut or if it is a safe way to get the job
done.
Has anyone done this kind of thing before? Would a dado blade work
better? A jig saw? A router? This may be a no brainer, but do you make
the slots the same size as the particle board? (23/32)

I would be very grateful for any ones help, and you would make a hero
out of me with my wife.

Thank you,
Don

More than 20 years ago I made some cubbies that still are in use today.
From what I remember the plywood was called texture 10-11 or something
like that (DAGS came up empty AFAICT). It's plywood with grooves about
every 5 inches, into which 1/4" ply fitted nicely. Make 2 uprights of the
10-11 plywood, and a bunch of shelves and top and back from 1/4" and you
have simple cubbies that will last from toddler till the next generation,
easily.

--
Best regards
Han