Mortimer Schnerd, RN

FGG wrote:
Recently moved to a new home and finally have the time and space to try
doing some woodworking projects. Someone I spoke to about tools (he
happens to do a lot of woodworking) suggested that with limited space,
if I had to limit myself to one tool, he would get a radial arm saw. He
said that you can most everything you need with that tool.

My very first "big" tool was a Craftsman RAS. At the time I didn't know any
better but I now do most of my cutting on a table saw. I still have the RAS but
it mostly just collects dust.

Aside from the RAS being picky to set up, I've known it to bind; something that
has never happened with my table saw. Also, ripping operations on the RAS were
a bit scary. It's also quite a bit noisier. YMMV.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com