Grunff

a wrote:
I have installed the sink in a cutout in a laminate worktop (and sealed all
the cut edges with varnish). The sink has a foam type gasket (self adhesive,
came on a roll) running all the way round that it sits on and has some
really bad screw fixings that secure it to the worktop.

Yes, all the sinks I've fitted seem to come with those fixings.

The question is
whether I should be sealing round the sink with silicon too?

Definitely.

The
installation instructions dont mention it, perhaps indicating the gasket is
sufficient to stop any splashes

It isn't.

(which seem more numerous than the previous
sink being shallower) going under - but I feel it would be better with a bit
of sealant round it?

Yup.

(It is a stainless steel sink in a black worktop -
translucent sealant?)

Yes, clear/translucent silicone is good.

--
Grunff