Ian Middleton

"Sam" wrote in message
om...
(dg) wrote in message
. com...
wrote in message
. ..
In the process of having a conservatory built, the builders digging
out the base have identified that the rainwater pipe to the soakaway
ends in an area that is going to be concreted over. This will then
(apparently, I'm none too familiar with this stuff) result in a new
soakaway having to be dug further down the garden, and the pipework
rerouted into it around the conservatory.

My question is is this something that the surveyor should have
anticipated when the project was specified, or are they likely to want
to charge me extra for it (they've said nothing yet but its only been
discovered this morning, so I'm trying to get some info for when they
do, as I expect, try to charge me extra) . The contract doesn't seem
to make any specific mention either way of reserving the right to
charge me extra for unforeseen problems in the building element of the
job

Thanks for any feedback

Brian

This would normally be an unforeseen item. The company would expect to
tap into some near by drains, and not have to make a completely new
soakaway and drain run.

Unless they are prepared to cover the cost, it would be unreasonable
for you not to pay for this extra work.

dg

Exactly. Usually an unforseen item is one which a "competent" builder
would not be expected to predict. In this case, if the soakaway had a
inspection cover over it or at least had a visible inspection pipe
then you would expect him to have allowed for moving it. Otherwise,
you will have to pay.

A friend of mine whilst having his conservatory built, found a inspection
cover 6 inches under the soil, right in the middle of the base. Buried since
the house was built in mid 90's. Had to pay for the builders to relocate the
pipework around the conservatory, wasn't much (about £1000) on £14k total
cost, but other option was inspection cover in middle of conservatory.