Steve

Default Clarification on Threading Infeed

I just wanted to clarify the infeed for threading on both sharp v
threads and also UN threads. I think I understand for sharp v threads
the depth of cut is equal to the pitch of the thread. So for a 2 1/4-8
sharp v thread with the compound set at 29 degrees the calcualtion is
..125*cos 29=.1094"

For a UN thread the infeed is 7/8ths of the pitch or
..875*.125/.875=.125
So the infeed at 29 degrees would be .125"

This seems logical since when cutting UN threads you are truncating
the triangle by 7/8 ths. Therefore .125*7/8= .1094

The UN thread is 7/8ths of the sharp v thread.

Is this correct?

Thanks, Steve