TWS

FGG wrote:

Recently moved to a new home and finally have the time and space to try
doing some woodworking projects. Someone I spoke to about tools (he
happens to do a lot of woodworking) suggested that with limited space,
if I had to limit myself to one tool, he would get a radial arm saw. He
said that you can most everything you need with that tool.

Any comments about that? I have some room in the garage but not
extensive and just starting out I don't want to sink a ton of money into
it. I am thinking - look for a used radial arm saw, and then getting a
router.

I would appreciate any discussion, counter arguments/suggestions and any
advice on getting started (ie good books, magazines...)

Thanks,

Fred

Having started with a very old and very used radial arm saw (and made
some decent furniture with it) and since replaced it with a very good
Dewalt Compound Sliding Miter Saw I would say there is no contest
between the two - go with a Compound Miter Saw instead of a Radial Arm
Saw. A miter saw is very easy to move on or off your bench top so if
you have limited room then you can use the same bench for multiple
purposes whereas the RAS is pretty much a fixed piece of equipment.

However, instead of either CMS or RAS, I would start with a good 10 inch
table saw if you want to do serious woodworking. You can do so much
more with a table saw with a lot more precision than with a CMS or RAS.
If you have the floor space (mobile bases are good if you can't keep
your set up permanent) I would strongly recommend a table saw.

TWS