Tom Baker

"Steve" wrote in message ...
I cut a hole in a wall to insert a 27"TV. The hole aligns with a stairway on
the other side. (about 8 steps.) So the Tv fits into the empty space under
the stairs. Its a split level house. One level in front and two levels in
the back. 1/2 set of stairs lead down and another 1/2 set of stairs lead up.

Not a huge space but enough to hold the TV. I'm concerned with the heat
generated by the TV causing the TV to overheat. I plan on installing a small
fan to vent the space.

There is a large closet next to the space that I can cut a hole through to
put a small fan in.

Would I be better to Pull air into the space and it would exit out the front
around the TV? Or should I turn the fan around and pull air out of the
space, sucking air in from around the front of the TV and blowing it into
the closet. ( the closet is always open. Its got louvered bi-fold doors).

The opening around the TV is about 1/2" on each side and 2" on the top. I'm
going to put a remote temperature sensor inside the enclosure to see how hot
it gets.

I hope to figure a way to have the fan turn on automatically when the TV
turns on?

This setup works out well. clears floor space in an already crowded room.

I started cutting the hole the other day while my wife was out shopping. Ha,
ha ,ha!
She just shook her head!

TIA for any Ideas.face, a
Steve

"International Residential Code, Sec R314.8, Under stair protection.
Enclosed accessible space under stairs shall have walls, under stair
surfaces and any soffits protected on the enclosed side with 1/2 inch
gypsum board." This is to protect the stair from burning before you
can get downstairs and away from danger. I'd suggest making that
enclosed, inaccessible space as fire safe as possible if it is to
contain a TV. I would vent it to an accessible space such as the
viewing room, rather than into an enclosed space filled with flammable
material.

If there were a grille below and a grille above the TV, I should think
air would circulate enough without a fan.

TB