George

If it's western red cedar, wear a mask and have some Benadryl available.
Lots of folks are sensitive to its insecticide/fungicide mix.

Eastern white and aromatic cedar turn pretty well, and are not normally as
strong an irritant.

You turn green wood for a lot of the reasons above, but mostly because it's
tough to dry the wood in large lumps without splitting.

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
link.net...

"Rob Worgull" wrote in message
I'm new to turning and people are always commenting about turning green
wood. Why not regular kiln dried / air dried wood? Does the moisture

help
to keep the turned piece from splitting apart?

Someone told me to get a 4x4 cedar port from the Borg and practice on

chunks
of that. Is that a good or bad idea?

I wouldn't recommend the cedar. It is a soft wood that will usually tear

out
if not approached with good technique. On the other hand, if you learn to
turn kiln dried cedar, all the other wood types should come pretty easy.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX