Chet Hayes

"Brian Dors" wrote in message ...
I would have the air flowing from the room the TV is in back into the
closet. If you think about how a TV naturally radiates heat, it normally
has the heat rise out the back. A slow fan sucking air would encourage
this. A fan blowing could perhaps end up pushing the heat down and keeping
it bottled inside the TV.

I would stick to a low RPM fan, and perhaps instead of wiring it to power up
with TV use a thermostat instead. Good luck, sounds like fun.

"Steve" wrote in message
I cut a hole in a wall to insert a 27"TV. The hole aligns with a stairway

on
the other side. (about 8 steps.) So the Tv fits into the empty space under
the stairs. Its a split level house. One level in front and two levels in
the back. 1/2 set of stairs lead down and another 1/2 set of stairs lead

up.

Not a huge space but enough to hold the TV. I'm concerned with the heat
generated by the TV causing the TV to overheat. I plan on installing a

small
fan to vent the space.

There is a large closet next to the space that I can cut a hole through to
put a small fan in.

Would I be better to Pull air into the space and it would exit out the

front
around the TV? Or should I turn the fan around and pull air out of the
space, sucking air in from around the front of the TV and blowing it into
the closet. ( the closet is always open. Its got louvered bi-fold doors).

The opening around the TV is about 1/2" on each side and 2" on the top.

I'm
going to put a remote temperature sensor inside the enclosure to see how

hot
it gets.

I hope to figure a way to have the fan turn on automatically when the TV
turns on?

This setup works out well. clears floor space in an already crowded room.

I started cutting the hole the other day while my wife was out shopping.

Ha,
ha ,ha!
She just shook her head!

TIA for any Ideas.

Steve

What's the volume of the space the TV is in? With today's TV's being
mostly solid state components, they don't generate much heat. Before
I wasted time and complicated things with a fan, I'd put the TV in the
opening, with a thermometer in the space. Leave it on for a few hours
and if the temp is within the operating limits of the set, I wouldn't
worry about it.