Scott Packard

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 14:55:55 -0500, O.B. wrote:

We have a 4-lamp magnetic ballast that is on the blink. The ballast is a Mark
III Energy Saver made by Advance Transformer, catalog number R-4S40-A-TP-AC.

This ballast is a magnetic ballast and costs $60 to replace. I can be a 4-lamp
electronic ballast from Lowe's for $30.

Is it possible to swap the bad magnetic ballast with an electronic ballast? If
so, are there any modifications that I need to make to the 4' fixture?

Of course. You need all the old lamp holders, and buy wire nuts for 11
wires I believe (8 for lamp holders, hot, neutral, and one in case you
drop any of the first 10). You'll only be able to buy electronic very
soon, but they're great. No hum, more light, and less current. And,
the tubes will last longer.