Don Klipstein

In article , O.B. wrote:
We have a 4-lamp magnetic ballast that is on the blink. The ballast is a Mark
III Energy Saver made by Advance Transformer, catalog number R-4S40-A-TP-AC.

This ballast is a magnetic ballast and costs $60 to replace. I can be a
4-lamp electronic ballast from Lowe's for $30.

Is it possible to swap the bad magnetic ballast with an electronic
ballast? If so, are there any modifications that I need to make to the
4' fixture?

1. The wiring may be different - look at the wiring diagram on the
ballast label.

2. Check the ballast label and the lamps to be sure they are compatible
with each other.

If you are doing a ballast relacement with an electronic ballast, I
would get one for F32T8 (4-foot) or F17T8 (2-foot) (T8 is one inch in
diameter) lamps rather than F20 and F40 (T12, or 1.5 inch diameter) types.
T8 lamps are mostly a little better and usually have higer color rendering
index. Ballasts for T8 are usually better than ballasts for T12 so far in
my experience.
If you are in for new lamps (bulbs):
My favorite T8 lamps have color codes SPX35 or 835. This is (in my
words) "semi warm white". 30 is warmer and 41 is "cool white color". SPX
or 8 (followed by the 2-digit abbreviated color temperature) means a color
rendering index of 82-86, with most of the color distortions in the
direction of making colors more vivid than "proper". SP or 7 followed by
2-digit abbreviated color temp. has a color rendering index in the upper
70's.
I would not bother with fluorescents with CRI 90-plus - they cost more,
have less light output, and their color distortions, although slight, are
mostly in the direction of making colors duller than "proper".

- Don Klipstein )