Lowell Holmes

IIRC, the Lie Nielson saws have an oil finish on their handles
.. One thing about oil, you can follow with poly as you might desire.
wrote in message
m...
Australopithecus scobis wrote in message
ie...
On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 06:46:26 -0700, matthew_r_blanchette wrote:

How about acetone instead of BLO?

Say what? Acetone would remove residual finish, then it would evaporate.
"BLO" means Boiled Linseed Oil. BLO is a curing oil finish. Flexner
doesn't like it much. I like it for tool handles, lately. It doesn't
prevent moisture from moving in and out of the wood. It does give a nice
finish for handles. If I were to refinish my Townsman's handle today, I
would use BLO instead of poly.

OK. I was thinking BLO was a solvent, rather than a finish.

Were you suggesting simply removing all old finish and leaving bare wood?
Feels nice, but gets grubby.

I have to admit, I've already done this. And you're right, I like the
way it feels. But, I'm also looking to prevent future grubbiness if
at all possible.